Prepare for Disaster
About Earthquake Coverage
Earthquakes have occurred in 39 states since 1900, and about 90% of Americans live in areas considered seismically active. For many of our neighbors in Lincoln, earthquake insurance can be inexpensive – contact Jeff Munns Agency, Inc. to find out what the costs would be for your home.
Most homeowner, condo and rental insurance policies do not cover damage caused by an earthquake, but coverage can typically be purchased as an endorsement or a separate policy.
Get A Free Quote
Let us help you find insurance Options
Does My State Really Need Earthquake Insurance?
Here are the facts
No matter where you live, you should consider earthquake insurance.
In the Midwest
According to the Insurance Information Institute, there’s a 40 to 63 percent chance the New Madrid Fault (which runs through Arkansas, Kentucky, Missouri, and Tennessee) region will suffer an earthquake with a 6.0 magnitude in the next 15 years.
In the East
The Earthquake Education Center at Charleston Southern University claims there’s a 40 to 60 percent chance of a major earthquake somewhere in the eastern United States in the next 20 years.
In the West
According to the U.S. Geological Survey, there is a 70 percent probability that one or more damaging earthquakes of magnitude 6.7 or larger will strike the San Francisco Bay area during the next 30 years.
What Does Earthquake Insurance Cover?
Earthquake insurance provides coverage if a home is damaged by an earthquake. Standard homeowner and renters policies will not cover earthquake damage. Earthquake insurance is a separate endorsement you must buy and add to your homeowner or renters policy.
An earthquake endorsement generally excludes damages or losses from floods and tidal waves – even when caused or compounded by an earthquake. However, if one experiences a loss due to a landslide, settlement, mudflow, or the rising, sinking and contracting of earth, the endorsement may cover it if the damage resulted from an earthquake.
There are several options to consider when purchasing earthquake insurance, including:
- Does the policy cover only your home? Are other structures, such as garages, also included?
- Will your policy pay for the contents of your home and for additional living expenses if your home is badly damaged or destroyed?
- Are there any exclusions or limitations to coverage?
- What deductible must you pay before the insurance kicks in?
What To Do When An Earthquake Strikes
Here is what you need to do if you find yourself in an earthquake.
If you are inside
If you are outside
If you are in a car
Earthquakes Can Happen In Nebraska – Here’s How You Can Protect Yourself
- Make sure your water heater, gas appliances, and other fixtures are fastened securely.
- Check that bookcases and furniture are secure and fastened to walls.
- Have a family emergency plan that all family members know. Designate a meeting place outside the home where family members can gather once the danger has passed.
- Designate a distant relative or friend who can serve as a point of contact and communication for you and your family members if you get separated.
- Plan ahead. Keep flashlights, batteries, and candles on hand. Have a portable radio.
- Be sure everyone in your house knows how to turn off utilities (electricity, water, and gas).
- When shopping for earthquake insurance, ask the company to help you identify possible repairs and other improvements that will make your home safer and minimize damage.
- Don’t use candles until gas lines are checked. Also, check throughout your home before you use certain utilities, such as water and electric, sewage connections, and even chimneys.
- Don’t tie up phone lines except to report emergencies.
- Be prepared. Remember that you will need food and water, even for the short term. Keep your family together and stay alert for aftershocks.
Want To Know How To Protect Your Property?
Ask Us Anything And We’ll Be Happy To Help
Jeff Munns Agency, Inc. is an independent insurance agency in Lincoln, NE that offers personal and commercial insurance solutions in Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, South Dakota, Minnesota, Tennessee, Colorado, Arizona, Texas & Wisconsin. We have been serving clients for over 30 years. Excellent customer service and care is our passion. Call, click or stop by!