Flood Protection

Protection From The Elements

Coverage For Flood Damage

In 1968, Congress created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) to help provide a means for property owners to financially protect themselves. The NFIP offers flood insurance to homeowners, renters, and business owners if their community participates in the NFIP. Participating communities agree to adopt and enforce ordinances that meet or exceed FEMA requirements to reduce the risk of flooding. Find out more about the NFIP and how it can help you protect yourself.

Flood insurance protects two types of insurable property: building and contents. The first covers your building, the latter covers your possessions; neither covers the land they occupy.

Reimbursment Methods For Flood Damage

What You Need To Know

The two most common reimbursement methods for flood claims are : Replacement Cost Value (RCV) and Actual Cash Value (ACV). The RCV is the cost to replace damaged property. It is reimbursable to owners of single-family, primary residences insured to within 80% of the building’s replacement cost.

All other buildings and personal property (i.e. contents) are valued at ACV. The ACV is the RCV at the time of loss minus physical depreciation. Personal property is always valued using the ACV.

Building coverage includes:

The insured building and its foundation

The electrical and plumbing system

Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters

Refrigerators, cooking stoves, and built-in appliances such as dishwashers

Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring

Contents coverage includes:

Clothing, furniture, and electronic equipment


Portable and window air conditioners

Portable microwaves and dishwashers

Carpeting that is not already included in property coverage

Clothing washers and dryers

Informational statements regarding insurance coverage are for general description purposes only. Read our disclaimer.

Need More Information?

Get your questions answered by a real, live agent.